Sunday, May 3, 2009

5/3 WOD

"Hansen"

Five rounds for time of:
2 pood (70#) Kettlebell swing, 30 reps
30 Burpees
30 Glute-ham sit-ups

Marine Staff Sgt Daniel Hansen died February 14th in Farah Providence, Afghanistan when an IED he was working on detonated. Daniel is survived by his mother Sheryll, his father Delbert, his younger sister Katie, and his twin brother Matthew (also a Marine).

Well, read how tough this was and was ready to just skip this and move onto the next one. But after reading about this guy, I felt compelled to do it. Big deal - so I suffer in a workout. Nothing like what he and his family and friends went/are going through. So I hit it.

Had to scale the KB swings to 53# since that's the largest I've got. And anchored Abmat situps since my glute-ham setup isn't great plus those are too aggressive for me right now. I actually felt pretty good despite being sore from What's Tabata You yesterday, did the first round all the way through no stoppie. But then reality set in and I slowed big time. Still not sure what is the best strategy - hit it all out and crawl to the finish or pace yourself. I always seem to choose the former. Just about through the burpees in round 3 when I feel the right rotator cuff tweak. I finish those and the situps and decide I better call it a night. Playing baseball most of my life I know the rotator cuff all too well and well, I don't need to eff that up. So disappointing that I stopped after 3 rounds (I think this is the first WOD I haven't gotten through all the way since I started CF - not all at the RX'd btw). Still an excellent workout and I will get through the entire thing next time to honor the memory of Marine Staff Sgt Daniel Hansen.

23:22

No comments:

Post a Comment