Thursday, March 19, 2009

I think my Murph time was worthy...

For more info on the Hero workouts, go here: Heroes

A little history on this workout, named after Lt. Michael Murphy.

In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y. who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.

This workout was one of Mike’s favorites and he’d named it ‘Body Armor’. From here on it will be referred to as “Murph” in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is.


Thank you to all who serve our country, and particularly to those who pay the ultimate price to protect our freedom.

The Murph:

For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you've got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.

I am not a runner. Don't enjoy it really. But figured can suffer for a mile twice. I partitioned the 100-200-300 Cindy style, 5-10-15. I did 15 rounds of Cindy in 19:15, so figured this was going to take me a good 25+ minutes. To my surprise, I did the 20 rounds in 21:22. Sweet!

The runs - no, not those kinda runs. First run was respectable at 7:06. Probably could've cracked the 7 minute mark, but I needed something in the tank for the strength portion of the workout. Second mile the legs were like total Jello, holy sweet mother of pearl something about 300 squats that will make them feel kinda funny. So I did 8:59 for that mile. Really not bad for a non-runner.

Total time was 39:24.

7:06 1st mile
21:22 strength portion
8:58 2nd mile

Total work time was 37:26 - had about a minute transition/rest between each group. Oh yeah, no freakin' way I could do this the first time with the weighted vest. But I will at some point for sure.

I'm happy. Tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment